Wednesday, November 17, 2010

You Can Always Find A Distraction If You're Looking For One...

Isn't that the truth!


I'm to that point where it's getting hard to focus and I constantly find my mind wandering from officer training, CROWN, reports, etc. to mashed potatoes, cuddling with Chloe (my cat), the Back Yard Brawl (Pitt vs. WVU game), and SHOPPING!  Yes, you might have guessed I am only 3 short days away from my week long Thanksgiving break in the beautiful city of Pittsburgh.  So instead of having all my TLC duties fill up my day, I have been planning my break, looking up new recipes for Thanksgiving dinner and most importantly, putting together my Christmas List : )  So far it consists of:


1. This beautiful Lucky Brand ring
2. Fun things for my iPad (stand, case, etc.)
3. New brown boots
4. $$$


...and anything else that you would like to give me : ) 


Every year my mom makes DELICIOUS food for Thanksgiving, usually the basics such as turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn, cranberries, and bread.  This year I decided I want to do my part for Thanksgiving dinner and have been researching some recipes for one of my favorite vegetables:  butternut squash! Yummm.  

I've decided on Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples:
2 Medium butternut squash
2-3 apples
8 tbsp melted butter
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup roughly chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut squash and apples into cubes
3. Add melted butter, brown sugar, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pecans
4. Toss together with clean hands and spread on a baking sheet
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes, lightly tossing throughout
6. Put in a serving dish and ENJOY : )

I'll be updating you after Thanksgiving and letting you know how it turns out!  If you decide to try the recipe, I'd love to hear what you thought!


2 comments:

  1. How is Miss? That's where i was born :) The potatoes sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love butternut squash! My uncle makes the most amazing roasted butternut squash every year for Thanksgiving, and it's one of my favorite dishes! I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip back home! Happy Friday!

    P.S. Thanks so much for following my blog!

    ReplyDelete