Monday, May 14, 2012

How To Make Your Day Better


Today has just been one of those days. As always, Pittsburgh weather likes to surprise us and make it sunny and warm one day, then there are days like today, a little chilly and rain, rain and more rain. My office is freezing and all I can think about is tonight's season finale of Gossip Girl--Blair and Chuck paleaseee make something happen this episode. I'm sick of Dan Humphrey. So as I'm sitting here moping at my desk, I started to think, how in the world can I make this day better? First thought was to get my butt up, go for a walk down the street and get myself a nice hot green tea. And that's exactly what I did. Here are some other ways I like to motiviate myself to smile when I'm having a bad day:

If it's early in the morning, step out and go get some breakfast. I usually eat some breakfast at home, but there are days when I wake up and just know it's going to be one of those days. So I get to work a bit earlier and treat myself to a toasted bagel with veggie cream cheese.

Go out to eat on a day you packed your lunch.

Take a walk during your lunch break. I always try to walk during some part of my day--I'll either skip the shuttle and walk in the morning or on my way home, but if I'm feeling a little groggy a mid-day walk is usually the cure!

Get a hot coffee or tea and indulge, savor and relax--even it it's just for 10 minutes.

Turn on some music. Pandora used to be my bff here at work, but when my computer was updated, I was no longer able to access the site. So I browsed around and settled on I Heart Radio--it's amazing how less stressed I am when I have music playing in the background.

Drink lots of water--this makes you feel refreshed!

Take 15 minutes out of your day and call that one person you've been meaning to call for weeks. I have lots of friends who moved away from Pittsburgh, so catching up and hearing their voice always makes me smile!

Read the news! You really should be doing this anyway, and in many fields it's a daily requirement. But for me, about an hour or so into my day, I'll take a little break and browse Yahoo for the latest stories.

Tidy up your office once a week. I designated Friday as my cleaning day. That way I leave for the weekend with a clean office and come back Monday with a clean office! Plus the smell of my lemon cleaner brightens up the feel of the office.

So there you have it. Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment