Monday, February 27, 2012

Wedding Soup

I made wedding soup for the first time yesterday. 
And not to brag, but it was awesome.
I made a smaller pot, but more than enough to feed five people.
I like to cook a lot, but I think this was the first time I've made
any kind of soup. It turned out so well I'm planning on trying a 
seafood bisque soon.

Here's the recipe:
3 qt. water
1 lb. chicken
3 stalks celery
3 carrots
1 tsp. parsley
1 cup chopped scallions
5 bouillion cubes
meatballs

Start a pot of boiling water, add salt, pepper and the bouillion cubes. 
Boil the chicken, let cool and use forks or I used my hands, to shred the chicken.


Cut up the celery, carrots and scallions. I tried to shred the carrots into small pieces.
Add to the boiling water.
I made homemade meatballs, but you can buy premade ones if you'd like. I cooked them in a pan first, then added them to the water. If you decide to make them homemade, be sure to add lots of garlic! It's what makes wedding soup different!
I let all these ingredients simmer for about an hour. Add about half a bag of orzo and let the soup cook for another 20 minutes. 
Right before you're ready to serve, cut up a bag of fresh spinach and add to the soup. 
I served mine with some parmesan cheese on top and a slice of Italian bread. 
It was delicious!

1 comment: