Sunday, October 23, 2011

Almost Famous

It just occured to me that I've never talked about where I got the idea for the name of my blog. Let me start off by saying that thinking of a name is much harder than you realize, so major props to all you writers out there for coming up with the titles for your creative work. 

Some of you may recognize "It's All Happening..." but for those who don't, it comes from my absolute favorite movie, Almost Famous. My love of rock and roll is no secret, and this movie, along with many other things, completely opened up my world to this entire emotion that I never knew before... how it feels to truly feel the music. 
Almost Famous, written and directed by the always amazing Cameron Crowe, was released in 2000, meaning I was in the sixth grade. I didn't see the movie until a few years later, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was on TV and I missed the beginning, but once I saw a few minutes my eyes were glued to the television. I immediately thought, "Who is this Penny Lane and how can I grow up to be just like her?"

Kate Hudson was truly magical in this role, but what's brilliant about the movie is that there is really no leading star, it takes you through 1973 and lets you into the minds of a rock star, a band, a groupie or "bandaid" as they call it in the movie, a mother, and a young boy who is trying to be a man. It makes you feel like you are in their world and introduces you to amazing music and how it affects people in so many ways, both good and bad. 

I could write for hours about this movie, but just know that it changed my life. It helped me become the dreamer that I am, and to never, ever go out with your eyes closed, because "it's all happening."

No comments:

Post a Comment