Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It Wasn't A Farewell, It Was A Celebration

I had a post for tonight all planned out, but then I started watching The Last Waltz, the Martin Scorsese documentary film about The Band's final concert. Needless to say I got distracted, and if you've seen The Last Waltz then you know what I mean. I've seen it more than a dozen times, and each time I become infatuated with a different performance. For a while "Ophelia" had my heart, and tonight it is The Band and Van Morrison "Caravan." 

I don't know if it's more the fact that Van really came out of his shell, or the way The Band backed up the vocals, but I rewinded the DVD three times. I couldn't get enough. Van Morrison is so incredibly talented, his voice just gives you chills, and I will always argue the The Band is one of the most under-rated groups of all time. So these two together... well, it doesn't get much better than that. 
And this...Neil Diamond, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Rick Danko, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Robbie Robertson and all the others together on stage at the same time making the most beautiful music. It sure isn't like it used to be--take a good look at the people who inspired millions of musicians.       They were and still are some of the most respected in the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment