Sunday, January 8, 2012

"To Be True to Ourselves and to those Within and Without Our Circle..."

I am a proud Zeta Tau Alpha.
Being that I spent the past year of my life traveling the country visiting ZTA chapters and assisting the young women with rectuitment, leadership growth, officer training among many other things--I think it proves my first statement correct.

Looking back, that year of experiences make up some of the best of my 23 years.
I knew I would love the "job," but it hasn't been until recent months that I truly realized the impact it had on my life. Sure there were times when I thought about giving up, when I was so exhausted and overwhelmed I wanted to break down and cry. But there were more times when I smiled, laughed, learned, made an impact. I can tell you there are few things less fulfilling than having members from chapters I visited to this day still tell me thank-you. 
Thank-you for being their friend, listening, giving honest advice, encouragement and that extra push you sometimes need. There are few jobs where you can find that, and man, do I miss it.

It gets me to thinking, am I really being "true to myself," am I happy and content with what I'm doing with my life right now. When I look back and the memories and think about how I grew as a person during my time as a TLC, I immediately think no.

So what does this mean for me. I'm not sure. Do I want to go to grad school--student affairs possibly? I could work in Greek Life--something I know I have a passion for. Decisions like these take courage and hope. Support from friends and family wouldn't be too bad either. 

All I know is that I want to be true to myself from here on out. I want to be true to the people around me--be honest and help them as much as I can. I've realized and accepted that thank-you's, appreciation and making an impact are much better than money and material things.  After all that, I believe I have some serious thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment